A great way to incorporate vegetables into a sweet treat and to use up excess courgettes when you get a glut of home-grown produce
- 200g grated courgette
- 150g caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 125ml vegetable or cold pressed rapeseed oil
- 200g plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 5ms ground cinnamon
- Zest and juice of 2 unwaxed lemons
- 15gms poppy seeds
- Preheat oven to 160 C / Gas mark 3. Grease a loaf tin or line with silicon paper.
- In a bowl, beat together the sugar, egg and oil.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, salt, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder and cinammon
- Gently fold the flour mixture into egg mixture until just blended (do not overbeat)
- Gently fold in the courgette, lemon zest and juice and poppy seeds
- Pour the batter into the prepared tin.
- Bake for appx 45 minutes in the preheated oven until a knife inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Remove from heat and cool about 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Top with simple lemon glace icing if desired (optional)